CAM Therapies for Specific Conditions
- Biofeedback, a method of improving control over autonomic body functions, is
sometimes used to treat substance abuse.
- Traditional Chinese medicine, particularly the use of herbs and acupuncture,
is often used to treat substance abuse.
- One of the most popular therapies for substance
abuse is acupuncture. A
number of studies indicate the efficacy of this approach. Approximately 5
percent of all acupuncture patients worldwide are being treated for substance
- Ayurvedic medicine has been used in the treatment of substance
abuse. Among the multiple modalities that are generally applied are herbal
medications, detoxification, diet, and yoga.
- Religious commitment has a strong influence on the prevention of and
recovery from substance abuse, including the use of tobacco and alcohol.
Return to Excerpts List
BEST ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: WHAT WORKS? WHAT DOES NOT? by Dr. Kenneth R.
Copyright © 2000 by Dr. Kenneth R.
permission of Simon & Schuster, Inc., New York, New York.
Return to Top