Respiratory Problems: CAM Therapies for
- Echinacea is an herb used by many people in the treatment of respiratory
tract infections. Clinical research supports this approach. Echinacea
appears to enhance immunity.
- Naturopathic medicine is often used to treat respiratory infections.
A number of modalities support the immune response to infection, including
supplements, botanical medicines, and homeopathy.
- Homeopathy can be effective in the treatment of people with upper respiratory
infections, including children. In one study, children given homeopathic
medicine required less antibiotic treatment.
- Some evidence supports the concept that chiropractic can be valuable for the treatment of
- Traditional Indian Ayurvedic medicine is used in the treatment of respiratory
infection. Herbs are generally administered, in conjunction with yogic
- Religious participation has been credited as having a protective effect
against many medical conditions, including respiratory tract infections.
Return to Excerpts List
BEST ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: WHAT WORKS? WHAT DOES NOT? by Dr. Kenneth R.
Copyright © 2000 by Dr. Kenneth R.
permission of Simon & Schuster, Inc., New York, New York.
Return to Top