Allergies: CAM Therapies for Specific
- Hypnotherapy is used to control allergies.
- Astragalus is probably the most commonly used herb
today in China, and has applications for allergies.
- Irritable bowel syndrome patients on allergy-free
symptoms when allergens were reintroduced.
- Food allergy has been implicated in otitis
media, a type of middle
- A series of studies investigated a single
remedy, Galphimia glauca, for hay fever. Nearly six hundred people were involved in the
trials, which showed a statistically significant improvement in symptoms among
people using homeopathy.
- A study of nasal allergies involving
thirty-nine patients found statistically significant results in favor of a
homeopathic remedy, Galphimia glauca. In a similar study, patients using other homeopathic
remedies showed a statistically significant decrease in symptoms. A 1997
meta-analysis noted that five out of six studies of several different
homeopathy remedies noted positive effects for several different remedies
depending on differences in the specific allergy and symptoms.
- A study of the remedy Similisan in 1995 produced a statistically
significant reduction in redness and itching among allergy patients.
Caution: Some studies suggest that
melatonin can exacerbate allergies.
Return to Excerpts List
BEST ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: WHAT WORKS? WHAT DOES NOT? by Dr. Kenneth R.
Copyright © 2000 by Dr. Kenneth R. Pelletier,
Reprinted by permission of Simon &
Schuster, Inc., New York, New York.
Return to Top